Bible translation is a demanding task and needs constant prayer support from start to finish. Translators have noticed, however, that special difficulties seem to surface when translations near completion. What follows is a sampling of such problems to help you in praying for those involved.
The list is not hypothetical. Every item mentioned has occurred to delay completion of some translation.
- Pray for the stamina and health of translators, their families and their children.
- Pray that scheduling of furloughs, administrative duties and other urgent tasks will not interfere with progress.
- Pray that responsibilities concerning aging parents, education of children and family duties will not be neglected.
- Pray for peace and guidance for translators having to leave the work due to health or family issues, and for local co-workers having to return to work or school.
- Pray for translations being done in secret. Pray for God to protect the lives of those involved and their families.
- Pray for readers to be available to give community checks on acceptability of the translation.
- Pray for the funding needed to support the translators, pay the expenses, and publish the materials.
- Pray for authorizations and approvals by church authorities and governments where required.
- Pray that local churches will be fully involved and reach consensus on wording, writing and printing.
- Pray that final decisions on use of key biblical terms will be acceptable to all concerned.
- Pray for reconciliation of alphabets and alternate wordings, due to dialect differences.
- Pray for availability of trained consultants so that translation checking and final approvals will not be delayed.
- Pray for literacy workers to promote literacy and so relieve translators to finish the translation. Pray for local enthusiasm for the completion and publication that will urge the translators on.
- Pray against technical failures of computers, storage disks, copiers, printers and service items.
- Pray concerning extreme weather conditions, like hurricanes and earthquakes, and the safety of manuscripts.
- Pray against wars and insurrections that render it impossible to continue the work.
- Pray for accuracy on the part of typesetters, who are often working with a language they do not understand.
- Pray for proofreaders, that they may catch and correct errors that would mar the translation.
- Pray for the mailing and shipping process, that damage or loss in transit, or delays in customs, will not occur.
Here are some more ressources to help you pray.Learn more ...